The Hong Kong Polytechnic University ( 香港理工大学）takes pride to organize and host the Secondary School Mathematics and Science Competition (SSMSC) to promote students’ interests in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology through competition.
SSMSC 2013 will be held on Jun 20 & Jun 27 for students in secondary 5 or lower. There are six levels of awards: Medal （top 2 percentile, i.e. 98% < x ≤ 100%), High Distinction (85% < x ≤ 98%), Distinction (70% < x ≤ 85%), Credit (50% < x ≤ 70%), Proficiency (35% < x ≤ 50%) and Participation (x ≤ 35%).
Contestants awarded with High Distinction or above will be invited for special interviews if they choose PolyU programmes(s) as their Band A choice(s) in future Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS).
|Registration||Application Deadline||May 31, 2013|
|Competition||Mathematics||Jun 20, 2013 09:00-10:15|
|Physics||Jun 20, 2013 11:30-12:45|
|Biology||Jun 27, 2013 09:00-10:15|
|Chemistry||Jun 27, 2013 11:30-12:45|
Mainly Secondary 5 students but talented in mathematics or science in lower forms are also welcome.
Accept school application only
All respective participating school
Mainly multiple-choice, supplemented by some fill-in-the-blank and conventional type questions, set at different levels of difficulty for competitors to answer in 75 minutes. Around 70% of the questions are based on the new Senior Secondary curriculum, and the remaining 30% on extended knowledge and skills which may lie outside the New Senior Secondary Curriculum.
Contestants can choose the English or Chinese version of the question paper.
You may download the past year questions from here
A certificate and a performance report will be issued to each contestant certifying his/her level of achievement in the respective subject. There are 5 levels based on the performance of competitors in the respective subject are tabulated below.
|Level of Achievement||Proficiency||Credit||Distinction||High Distinction||Prize & Medal|
|Percentile||35 < P ≤ 50||50 < P ≤ 70||70 < P ≤ 85||85 < P ≤ 98||98 < P ≤ 100|
Biology: Time allowed 75 minutes
There are two parts in the Paper, Part A and Part B. Part A consists of fifty-five (55) multiple choice questions and Part B two (2) structural questions. Competitors should attempt all questions.
The full marks for Part A and Part B are 55 and 15 respectively. The full mark for Biology is 70.
Chemistry: Time allowed 75 minutes
There are two parts in the Paper, Part A and Part B. Part A consists of forty (40) multiple choice questions which must be attempted by all candidates and Part B six (6) short questions. Competitors are required to answer five (5) questions in Part B.
The full marks for Part A and Part B are 40 and 20 respectively. The full mark for Chemistry is 60.
Mathematics: Time allowed 75 minutes
To assess the abilities of competitors fairly albeit their mode of learning, i.e. just taking the compulsory part, taking the compulsory part plus the extended module M1 or M2, we have divided the paper into two parts and different sections.
- Part A consists of 35 multiple choice questions which must be attempted by all candidates. In Part B, candidates may choose EITHER Section B1, B2 or B3. Section B1 is intended for those who have not taken M1 or M2, Section B2 for those who have taken M1 and Section B3 M2.
2. There are 10 questions in each section and competitors are required to tackle 5 questions only. Students who have taken the extended M1 or M2 do NOT have to choose Section B2 or B3. They may choose B1 if they wish. Likewise, students who have NOT taken M1 or M2 may tackle Section B2 or B3, though this is NOT recommended.
Physics: Time allowed 75 minutes
There are two parts in the Paper Part A and Part B. Part A consists of thirty five (35) multiple choice questions and Part B three (3) short questions. Competitors should attempt all questions.
For further information, please contact Mr. Yee Tel : 03-4296 1322/012-257 2145 or Email : firstname.lastname@example.org